Benefits of Purchasing an EPI Plate
Your purchase of an EPI license plate directly supports local, underserved Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho youth in our Yellowstone Program. While on course with EPI, these students experience hands-on science and conservation efforts, contributing to real, ongoing research in and around Yellowstone National Park. Learn more about our local student programs.
Additionally, once purchased, 100% of your specialty plate renewal fee directly supports EPI each year and helps you share your love for Montana's wild animals and places through unique artwork for your vehicle.
Purchasing an EPI license plate means you're investing in youth, education, and conservation - empowering the next generation of conservation leaders to take an active role in protecting our planet.
How Do I Purchase an EPI Plate?
Purchasing your EPI license plate is a simple process that can be done during your normal license plate payment times: when registering your car or when renewing your plates. But did you know that you can also renew at ANY time during the year? Here are some quick facts to help you get started.
Can I put a specialty plate on my vehicle?
- Specialty plates, also referred to as "sponsored plates," can go on any passenger car, pickup, van, SUV, motor home, large truck, or bus registered in Montana. They are also available for trailers.
- You can purchase your EPI plate at your local MVD - Just ask for the Ecology Project International plate when you get there!
How much will it cost?
- The first time you purchase your EPI plate, you will pay your normal registration or renewal fees + $40 ($20 goes to the State and $20 is donated to EPI).
- Once you have the EPI plate, you will only pay your normal renewal fees + $20 (full $20 is donated to EPI for each renewal).
- If you'd like to participate immediately, you don't need to wait for your normal renewal cycle - you can renew now, and the MVD will prorate the fees as appropriate!
Can I personalize my EPI plate?
- For the fees listed above, you'll receive an EPI plate with a randomly assigned group of numbers and letters.
- For an additional $25, you can personalize your plate with your own selection of numbers and letters. Each renewal or transfer of the personalized plate thereafter will be an additional $10.
- There are a few restrictions (e.g., no symbols allowed), so be sure to check out Montana's personalized plate application for all rules and regulations.
- When filling out the personlized plate application, under "Background Choice" simply put "Ecology Project International."
History of the EPI Plate
In late 2015, EPI's incredible in-house artist, Haley Hanson, designed six unique plates to share with our friends, families, and supporters. We held a Montana-wide vote, and the beautiful "jumping trout" won top honors. We also took feedback on the designs from our fans, changing the background color based on their suggestions. Haley worked closely with the Montana Motor Vehicle Department to get the colors just right, and in August of 2016, the new plate was released.
It's a conservation plate for planet Earth by those who love her most, and we couldn't be more excited to share it with you!